February 15, 2017
We value your privacy.
Information We Collect
When you use our service, you share information with us:
- When you subscribe to our site, you enter personal information about yourself.
- When you login to our site, we use a cookie in your browser keep you logged in.
- When you create Batches you store information on our site.
- When you give input to a test, you give information about the test target.
- Even when you just browse the site you leave information about your IP address and browser in our web server logs.
As you use our services, we want you to be clear how we use the information you share with us. Please take the time to get to know our practices, and contact us if you have any questions.
Our tests focus on email, so we see a lot of email addresses. We will never share individual personal information without your consent or unless ordered by a court of law. We will never share, sell, or rent any email addresses we collect as part of testing done at CheckTLS unless ordered by a court of law.
When you use our services or view content provided by CheckTLS, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include:
- details of how you used our service, such as what tests you used
- your IP address
- device information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, and the referring URL
- cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your CheckTLS subscription
Cookies and anonymous identifiers
We use various technologies to collect and store information when you use CheckTLS. This may include sending one or more cookies or anonymous identifiers to your device.
We use Google Analytics to track use of our site. As we are focused on furthering email tools and knowledge, we do not have the resources to develop the tools that Google provides for free to help us manage our site. While there is no telling what Google collects or does with your information, they too state they protect privacy, and they already know everything anyway.
How We Use Information We Collect
Transparency and choice
People have different privacy concerns. Our goal is to be clear about what information we collect, so that you can make meaningful choices. For example, you may set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our services, or to indicate when a cookie is being set by us. However, it is important to know that some of our services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled.
We give you complete access to your Subscription information. If that information is wrong, you can update it or delete it quickly, unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request. Where we can provide information access and correction, we will do so for free, except where it would require a disproportionate effort. We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
Information we share
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations, and individuals outside of CheckTLS unless one of the following circumstances apply:
With your consent
We will share personal information with companies, organizations, or individuals outside of CheckTLS when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
For external processing
For legal reasons
We will share personal information with companies, organizations, or individuals outside of CheckTLS if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- Meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request
- Enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues
- Protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of CheckTLS, our users or the public as required or permitted by law
Your choice regarding your personal information
You have the option of not providing us the Personal Information at the point where it is collected. This may result in unavailability of certain services to you. For example, we require a Subscriptioni with a small number of mandatory fields to use some services. If you elect not to provide the requested information, you might be not be able to subscribe and use all of our services.
We work hard to protect CheckTLS and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure, or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- We encrypt some of our services using SSL.
- We review our information collection, storage, and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to CheckTLS employees, contractors, and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
- Personal information
- This is information which you provide to us which personally identifies you, such as your name, email address or billing information, or other data which can be reasonably linked to such information by CheckTLS.
- CheckTLS Subscription
- You may access some of our services by signing up for a CheckTLS Account and providing us with some personal information (typically your name, email address, and a password). This account information will be used to authenticate you when you access CheckTLS services and protect your account from unauthorized access by others. You can edit or terminate your account at any time through your My CheckTLS dashboard.
- A cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the website again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. You can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some website features or services may not function properly without cookies.
- Anonymous identifier
- An anonymous identifier is a random string of characters that is used for the same purposes as a cookie on platforms, including certain mobile devices, where cookie technology is not available.
- IP address
- Every computer connected to the Internet is assigned a unique number known as an Internet protocol (IP) address. Since these numbers are usually assigned in country-based blocks, an IP address can often be used to identify the country from which a computer is connecting to the Internet.
- Server Logs
- Like most websites, our servers automatically record the page requests made when you visit our sites. These "server logs" typically include your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
- Sensitive personal information
- This is a particular category of personal information relating to confidential medical facts, racial or ethnic origins, political or religious beliefs, or sexuality.
- Non-personally identifiable information
- This is information that is recorded about users so that it no longer reflects or references an individually identifiable user.